This is my best chocolate chip cookie recipe. I love making these cookies. And I love eating them too. In fact, my whole family loves them. They are so easy to make and taste so delicious that it’s difficult to stop with just one or two cookies at a time.
These are crispy chocolate chip cookies and are a must in my home every year for Diwali. I make them in bite sizes and we simply love them that way. Another reason why I keep them at bite sizes is because I do make a lot of cookie varieties for the festive occasion and bite sized cookies means my guests will be able to try out all my cookies without the guilt of over-consuming these delicacies. And the same applies to my family as well.
How to Make the Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies – Video
Check out my full video on how to bake these chocolate chip cookies:
Why do I call these the best chocolate chip cookies? Because not only are they super delicious, they are really easy to make too. The recipe starts with the normal sugar and butter creaming process but unlike for cakes, this process should be a short one for all cookies, generally, because too much creaming will result in the cookies spreading too much during baking. And after the creaming process, the egg goes in, after which you literally mix all the remaining ingredients into your bowl and drop spoonfuls of cookie dough into your baking tray and bake them. No resting time needed for the dough, and no rolling and cutting required.
What goes into these cookies that makes this the best chocolate chip cookie recipe?
The ingredients I use for these cookies are pretty basic in the sense that these are almost always readily available in most homes. And these ingredients are the basic ones that almost all chocolate chip cookies are made of:
- Self raising flour
- Brown sugar
- Castor sugar
- Egg yolk
- Mini dark chocolate chips
- Almond nibs (roasted)
- Vanilla essence
But the ones that make a difference to this recipe is the combination of brown sugar and castor sugar and the addition of almonds.
I use self raising flour in this recipe and because of this, I did not add anything further to help the cookies increase in size during baking.
Brown sugar & white sugar
And I have chosen to use a combination of both brown sugar and white sugar for 2 reasons. The brown sugar gives these cookies a deep molasses-like flavor that is most befitting for chocolate chip cookies while the white sugar helps with the crispy texture of the cookies. Plus brown sugar is not overly sweet and when combined with dark chocolate chips, the richness of these chocolate chip cookies is just perfect.
And not forgetting the roasted almond nibs. These are readily available in cake supply stores and all you need to do is roast them slightly before adding them to the cookie dough. In case you cannot find these almond nibs, you can always use whole almonds. Simply chop them into small bits and roast them. I have not tried these cookies with any other nuts before, but I believe the cookies would taste just as great with any other types of roasted nuts, so long as they are slightly roasted.
You can call me crazy, but the other thing that I do to these chocolate chip cookies of mine is literally add extra chocolate chips on each cookie before baking them. You can see how I do it in my video above. Once I have scooped and shaped the cookie dough (which is already mixed with the chocolate chips and roasted almond nibs) into round balls, I press 3 additional chocolate chips onto each cookie. I love the chocolate chips showing up on the cookies that way and so do it every single time I bake these cookies.
- Baking time and oven temperature may vary. I would suggest that you follow the baking temperature you normally use to bake cookies. Please also note that the cooking time will ultimately depend on the thickness of your cookies as well as the size. The baking time and temperature provided in this recipe are based on my oven setting.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my best chocolate chip cookie recipe:
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 190 g self raising flour
- 150 g salted butter
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 75 g castor sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g mini dark chocolate chips
- 50 g almond nibs roasted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Dry roast the almond nibs on a pan over small heat or in the oven. Leave aside to cool.
- In a clean bowl, add both the caster sugar and brown sugar and butter and cream these together until the mixture turns light and creamy. Do not over beat as this could result in the cookies spreading too much during baking.
- Add the egg yolk and beat until its just combined.
- Next, add the flour, followed by vanilla essence and almond nibs. Mix with a spatula until the nuts are well combined.
- And finally, add two thirds of the dark chocolate chips to the batter and mix in with a spatula.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of cookie dough onto your baking sheet, making sure they are well spaced out to allow for spreading during baking.
- Tidy the cookies by shaping them into ball using your hands. And finally, press in some chocolate chips onto the top of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes until they are lightly browned at the sides.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, lift the parchment paper off the baking tray and place them onto wire racks for the cookies to cool down. Once cooled, remove them from the paper, and let them cool completely on wire racks before storing in an airtight container. These cookies can last up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
And that is my best chocolate chip cookie recipe for you. If you have any comments or queries, please leave them in the section below. I will revert as soon as I can.
Happy Baking 🙂