These chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles are literally loaded with chocolate and sprinkles. The cupcakes batter has cocoa powder in it and is topped with chocolate sprinkles before baking.
Once baked, the cupcakes are decorated with dark chocolate buttercream. More sprinkles are added on to complete the cupcakes. How is that for a chocolate sprinkles cupcake?
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Sprinkles
These cupcakes are very easy to make. The ingredients used are pretty basic too. For the cupcake batter, these are the ingredients needed:
- Self-raising flour + baking powder + salt + cocoa powder
- Vanilla Essence
- Chocolate Sprinkles
And for the frosting and decoration of these chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles, these are the ingredients needed:
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate sprinkles
- White and gold sprinkles
Making the chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles
- These cupcakes are made using the creaming method which means butter and sugar are creamed together until light and fluffy before all other ingredients are added in one by one.
- To start with, put butter and brown sugar in a deep bowl and cream both until they turn light and fluffy. This should take a good 2 minutes on medium to high speed. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl at least once so that the butter and sugar are uniformly mixed.
- Next is the eggs. Add these one at a time. And each time, make sure you beat them until there are no more traces of egg before adding the next one.
- The flour mix and milk should go in next. These should be folded in alternately with the flour added in 3 batches and the milk in 2 batches. Start and end with the flour mix.
- And finally, add the vanilla essence and give the chocolate sprinkles cupcakes batter a good mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake casings.
- Top the cupcakes batter with chocolate sprinkles. Add about half a teaspoon on top of each cupcake.
- Bake the cupcakes until done, but make sure you do not over bake them.
- Once baked, let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting and decorating them with chocolate buttercream and more sprinkles.
Decorating the cupcakes
- For the chocolate buttercream, start by creaming the butter, and then add the powdered sugar gradually. Next, sift in the cocoa powder and beat until the buttercream is all smooth and creamy. It is important that you sift the cocoa powder into the buttercream to avoid lumpy cocoa powder in your buttercream.
- You can decorate the cupcakes any way you wish and or the design on this page, I used a large star piping tip to pipe my chocolate buttercream onto the chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles.
- Start with a first round of buttercream stars all around the edges of the cupcakes.
- Following that, pipe more stars in the center to cover the entire cupcake tops.
- Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles all over the buttercream stars. And finally, sprinkle some white and gold tiny sprinkles on the cupcakes for a truly chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles.
And that’s pretty much how I made these chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles.
Tips for Making the Best Ever Chocolate Cupcakes with Sprinkles
Ingredients at room temperature
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, especially the butter and eggs. If either one is cold, your cupcake batter will curdle. If that happens, add some flour until it is no longer curdled.
- The best way is to avoid the curdling by making sure butter and sugar are at room temperature
Use good quality cocoa powder
- These are chocolate cupcakes to begin with, so its of utmost importance that you use good quality cocoa to make them.
Do not over bake the cupcakes
- Overbaking will cause your chocolate sprinkles cupcakes to be dry, so be cautious to not overbake them. Test the cupcakes with a skewer at least a few minutes before the baking time is over. Ideally, the skewer should have a few moist crumbs attached to it (not wet batter).
Baking time for the cupcakes depends on the size of the cupcakes
- for this recipe, I baked my cupcakes in muffin cups. These are slightly larger than the standard cupcake casings, so if you are using the standard cupcake casing, you would need to reduce your baking time accordingly. Test the chocolate cupcakes a few minutes before the baking time is up just to be sure.
Keep the cupcakes covered while cooling down
- This will help the cupcakes remain moist and not dry out. You can do this with a kitchen towel.
Storing the cupcakes
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container. These cupcakes last for a good 4 to 5 days at room temperature. If you wish to keep them longer, refrigerate them.
Add milk if the buttercream is stiff
- The cocoa powder used in the chocolate buttercream will make it stiff. Add some milk to make the buttercream into an easily pipe-able consistency.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Sprinkles Recipe
Here is the printable version of my cupcakes recipe and while you are at it, don’t miss my recipe notes right below. They contain absolutely useful tips for the best chocolate cupcakes ever!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Sprinkles
- 120 g butter
- 75 g castor sugar
- 25 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- ¾ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp chocolate sprinkles
Frosting & Decoration
- 110 g butter salted
- 220 g powdered sugar sifted
- 25 g cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tbsp milk more if buttercream is stiff
- 5 tsp chocolate sprinkles as required
- white and gold sprinkles as required
- Prepare your cupcake casings.
- Preheat oven to 170°Celsius.
- Beat butter and both sugars till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Fold in the sifted ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Add in the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour batter into baking cups until they are about two thirds full. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon for chocolate sprinkles on top of the cupcakes batter.
- Bake the chocolate cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of the casing you use) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out without any wet batter sticking to it.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and let them cool completely before decorating.
- To make the buttercream, cream the butter until soft and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and beat until it is well blended into the buttercream. Add milk if the buttercream is too stiff.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe chocolate buttercream stars all over the top of each cupcake. Add chocolate sprinkles to each cupcake, followed by the white and gold sprinkles as preferred.
And that is pretty much how I made my chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles.
Happy Baking 🙂 🙂
Pin this chocolate sprinkles cupcakes recipe for later here: