These chocolate marshmallow cupcakes with almonds not only taste good, they are also fun to make too. You can even call these as chocolate chips cupcakes. That’s because I’ve added chocolate chips to the cupcakes batter so you will notice as you eat these chocolate cupcakes that there are tiny bits of yummy chocolate in them.
And I have also added some ground almonds to these chocolate cupcakes. The resulting cupcakes are soft, fluffy, and moist and pair so perfectly well with the chocolate ganache and marshmallows topping.
How to Make Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes
These chocolate chips cupcakes are pretty easy to make. The ingredients for the cupcake batter are:
- butter (salted)
- soft brown sugar
- self-raising flour + baking powder
- cocoa powder
- ground almond
- chocolate chips
- vanilla essence
And the ingredients for the chocolate cupcakes topping are:
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
As you can see, I used brown sugar instead of normal castor sugar in this chocolate almond cupcakes recipe. The use of brown sugar gives these chocolate cupcakes a deeper molasses-like taste. To add on to that, I also use ground almonds and this gives the chocolate cupcakes a slightly nutty flavor. Together, these ingredients yield wonderfully rich and deliciously nutty and chocolaty chocolate chip cupcakes.
- The cupcakes batter is mixed using the creaming method. Butter and sugar are beaten until light and fluffy before the eggs are added in. Once the eggs are well combined, the flour, cocoa powder, and ground almonds are folded in alternately with the milk. Finally, the vanilla is added followed by the chocolate chips.
- The chocolate almond cupcakes batter is filled into cupcake casings to about 3/4 full and baked.
- Once baked, the chocolate chip cupcakes were decorated with ganache and mini marshmallows. It’s so simple, it can even be used as a decorating project for kids (see the decorating guide below).
- I topped each chocolate almond cupcake with a thin layer of chocolate ganache and then I attached mini marshmallows in circles, starting from the outside and working the way towards the center. The ganache acts as a glue to hold the marshmallows in place. And since these were chocolate chip cupcakes, I decided to add more chips as part of the deco.
- Finally, I attached one chip to one marshmallow, limiting only to the center marshmallows and leaving the outer layer of marshmallows plain.
How to decorate chocolate almond cupcakes with marshmallows
Here is how to do it, step by step:
- Once the chocolate chip cupcakes are baked, let them cool completely. And while waiting for the cupcakes to cool down, make the ganache.
- Cover the top of each cupcake with a smooth layer of ganache.
- While the ganache is still soft, attach the first layer of marshmallows as shown. Attaching is simple, just press them into the ganache which helps to hold them in place. I did my first row in pink.
- Continue with the second layer of marshmallows. As you can see here, I chose white marshmallows for my next row.
- And then add the final layer in pink. Arrange them such that they are well distributed on the chocolate marshmallow cupcake and there is no apparent gap that could be seen in between each piece.
- Next are the chocolate chips. To make sure the chips stayed in place on each of the marshmallows, use the ganache as the ‘glue’. Fill it into a piping bag and cut a tiny hole in the bag.
- Attach the chips with tiny dots of ganache on the middle and center marshmallow circles.
I made 2 versions of this chocolate marshmallows cupcakes design, using the pink and white layers in different combinations as can be seen below:
Almond Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes Recipe
Here is the full, printable version of my chocolate marshmallow cupcakes recipe:
Almond Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes
- 225 g butter salted
- 450 g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 320 g self-raising flour
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 75 g ground almonds
- 100 g chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Frosting and Decorating
- Chocolate Ganache
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
- Prepare your cupcake casings.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Beat butter and brown sugar till light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and until mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Fold in the sifted ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour. Do not over mix.
- Add in the ground almond and vanilla essence and combine well. Finally mix three parts of the chocolate chips into the batter. Keep the remaining one part aside. Pour the well mixed batter into baking cups. Fill each cup about two thirds full.
- Top the batter with the remaining chocolate chips that were set aside earlier. Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out without any wet batter sticking to it.
- Let the cupcakes cool down completely before decorating.
- To decorate the cupcakes, apply a layer of chocolate gananche to the top of each cupcake.
- Arrange the mini marshmallows in circles, on each ganache covered cupcake. Alternate the colors of the marshmallows between each layer.
- Finally, top the mini marshmallows with more chocolate chips with ganache.
And that’s my decadent chocolate marshmallow cupcakes for you!
Happy baking 🙂 🙂
Pin this recipe for later here: