If you love cinnamon and streusel topping, you will love these cinnamon swirl muffins with cinnamon crumble topping. The muffins are made using a simple muffin batter and have a lovely cinnamon sugar swirl in it. And to add to this combination is an equally delicious crumble topping made using butter, flour, brown sugar, oats, and a slight hint of cinnamon.
These muffins are easy to bake and have a wonderfully soft and moist texture. They remain moist for a good 2 to 3 days after baking, making them an excellent ‘make ahead’ breakfast choice.
You can customize these muffins by adding raisins or nuts to the batter if you like, and you can also customize the topping to make it the more crunchy by adding toasted chopped pecans or walnuts.
How to Make Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping
These cinnamon swirl muffins are pretty easy and quick to make. They are a combination of cinnamon swirl muffins with a cinnamon sugar crumble topping. The ingredients used are pretty basic except of cinnamon powder which is used in very small quantity in the recipe. All in all, you can prepare these muffins in under 30 minutes and with a baking time of about 15 minutes, you can have a batch of freshly baked, aromatic cinnamon streusel muffins in under 45 minutes!
These are the ingredients you need to make these cinnamon swirl muffins:
- Plain flour + salt + baking powder
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon powder
- Brown Sugar
Crumble (Streusel) Topping
- Plain flour
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon powder
Making the cinnamon swirl muffins
Cinnamon sugar filling & crumble topping
- For the filling, measure the sugar into a small bowl, add the cinnamon powder and mix well.
- For the topping, measure the flour, oats, sugar, and cinnamon into a small bowl. Add melted butter to it and mix until all the ingredients are well moistened. The mixture might appear a bit lumpy immediately after mixing, just cut it through with a spoon to break it into smaller crumbs and set it aside.
- In a medium-sized measuring jar, measure oil and milk. Add the egg and use a whisk to beat it briefly until it’s well incorporated into the liquids. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, measure the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Mix with a whisk or spatula to combine the ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon the cinnamon muffin batter into prepared muffin cups until about half full.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon filling on top of the batter and top it with more batter until each muffin cup is about 2/3 full.
- Use a long skewer or toothpick to swirl the cinnamon filling in the batter. If you are not sure how to do this, simply insert your skewer halfway into the muffin batter and move it as you draw the number “8” twice in the batter with your skewer.
- Remove the skewer and fill the top of the cinnamon swirl muffin batter with the prepared cinnamon crumb topping until the muffin cups are full.
- Bake the muffins at 170 degrees Celsius for approximately 10 to 13 minutes. The muffins cups I used measure 3.5 cm in diameter at the bottom and 5 cm in diameter at the top. The height of the muffin cups is also 3.5cm. You would need to adjust the baking time if your muffins are baked in larger or smaller casings/tin.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping – Recipe Notes
Here are my notes for this recipe. Reading these will help you understand the recipe and help in making any adjustments if you wish so.
- This recipe calls for the use of brown sugar not only in the batter but also in the filling and the crumble topping. Brown sugar gives the muffins a lovely depth in flavor.
- The muffins are not overly sweet and make a good combination with the crumble topping.
- I made these muffins with oil. Oil helps to keep the muffins soft and moist for days. I used sunflower oil but any flavorless oil is fine. You can also use melted butter in place of the oil, just be sure to use it in the same quantity.
- There is no cinnamon in the muffins batter, instead, it is mixed with brown sugar and used as a filling (swirled into the batter) in the muffins. It is also added to the crumble topping.
- The amount of cinnamon I used in my recipe above is just nice to give these cinnamon swirl muffins a light hint of cinnamon. If you prefer a stronger cinnamon presence in your muffins, you can increase it to your liking.
Crumble Topping (Streusel Topping)
- The cinnamon sugar crumble topping for these cinnamon swirl muffins is made using melted butter, flour, whole rolled oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- You can always add some chopped toasted nuts to the topping for a crunchier topping. Also, the whole rolled oats can be substituted with quick oats. If you are intending to replace the brown sugar with white sugar, you will need to reduce the quantity of the white sugar slightly as white sugar is sweeter.
Variations to the batter
- You can customize these muffins further by adding chopped apples, raisins, or even chopped nuts into the batter.
- A good measure will be about 80g of these to make sure the proportion of these ingredients are just nice in the muffins.
Baking time & muffins size
- Baking time varies by muffin size. I baked my muffins in mini muffin cups. My recipe below yielded 12 mini muffins. If you are planning on using standard or normal-sized muffin cups, you would need to increase the baking time slightly.
- When filling the batter into the muffin cups, fill it to about 2/3 full only. You will need to give some allowance for the cinnamon crumble topping as well as for the muffins to rise slightly during baking.
Storing the muffins
- The muffins are best served when they are warm, but if you do not intend to serve them while still warm, keep them stored in an airtight container. The muffins last at room temperature for a good 4 to 5 days. If you wish to keep them longer, refrigerate them.
Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping recipe:
Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping
- 150 g plain flour
- 100 g brown sugar
- 50 ml oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 80 ml milk
Cinnamon Swirl Filling
- 6 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 50 g flour
- 25 g oats
- 50 g butter (melted)
- 45 g brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- Pre heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare the crumb topping. Melt butter and let it cool down.
- Mix the oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix to form a crumbled mix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon powder for the filling and set aside.
- To make the muffins batter, sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add brown sugar and mix with a whisk until the sugar is well incorporated into the flour. Keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg and add in the oil and milk. Pour the liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix briefly until the flour mixture is all moistened.
- Scoop the muffins batter into prepared muffin cups until about half full. Spoon half teaspoon of cinnamon filling and top with muffin batter until about 2/3 full. Use a skewer to swirl the batter.
- Sprinkle the prepared crumble topping until full.
- Bake the muffins for 13 minutes. Increase the baking time if using larger muffin casings.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
And that’s pretty much my cinnamon swirl muffins with cinnamon crumb topping.
Here are my other treats you might want to check out:
- Homemade fried dough bites in simple sugar syrup
- Almond chocolate marshmallow cupcakes
- Old fashioned lemon bars
- Nutty strawberry oat bars
Happy baking 🙂