These coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream are all about coffee. It’s real coffee in the cupcakes and more real coffee in the buttercream. And that is not all, there are also coffee-flavored chocolate chips in the cupcakes!
The cupcakes turned out superbly moist and fluffy, just like my coffee layer cake, and the aroma of coffee in my kitchen every time I bake these cupcakes is absolutely pleasant.
How to Make Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
These cupcakes are easy to make. Lets look at the ingredients and detailed making instructions.
- Self-raising flour + baking powder + salt
- Granulated sugar
- Instant coffee + hot water
- Coffee-flavored chocolate chips
- Coffee buttercream
- Milk chocolate coins
Mixing the coffee cupcakes batter
The cupcakes are made using the creaming method, which means butter and sugar is creamed until light and fluffy before other ingredients are added in.
To begin with, mix instant coffee and hot water. Mix and set it aside to cool down.
In a large bowl, add butter and sugar and beat until they light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl at least once.
Next, add the eggs, one at a time. Each time, beat until all traces of the egg are no longer visible.
Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder. Fold this mixture into the creamed mixture in 3 batches. Alternate each batch with milk, starting and ending with flour.
Next, add the diluted coffee. Give the cake batter a good mix, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. This is to make sure the cake batter is evenly colored as coffee changes the color of the batter to a light brown.
Scoop the batter into prepared cupcake casings. Sprinkle the top of each cupcake with coffee-flavored chocolate chips.
Baking the cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Remove the cupcakes from oven and let them cool down completely before frosting.
Making the coffee buttercream
Start by creaming the butter and shortening until creamy. Add in the sifted icing sugar and continue beating until the mixture turns smooth.
Add the diluted coffee and continue beating until the buttercream is all smooth and evenly colored.
If it is too stiff, add some milk. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase gradually until you achieve your desired consistency. Since the buttercream will be used for piping work, it should not be too soft.
Decorating the coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream
Fit your piping bag with star tip 2D. Fill the piping bag with coffee buttercream.
Pipe simple swirls on each cupcake and top with a milk chocolate coin.
Tips for The Best Coffee Cupcakes
- I used instant coffee powder to flavor my coffee cupcakes. You can also use filtered coffee but the results might vary. And if you do, make sure the coffee is not too diluted.
- If you prefer the cupcakes without the coffee-flavored chips, simply omit them from the recipe.
- Fill the cupcake casings only about two thirds full. The cupcakes will rise during baking and if you fill them full, they will overflow.
- The baking time for these cupcakes will vary depending on the size of the cupcakes. I baked mine in cupcake casings measuring 4 cm in diameter at the bottom and 7 cm in diameter at the top, with a height of 2.5cm. If your casings are larger than this, you would need to increase your baking time accordingly.
- Keep the coffee cupcakes in an airtight container once they have cooled down to keep them moist.
- These coffee cupcakes last at room temperature for a good 4 to 5 days. After that, you will see the cupcake casings pulling off the cupcakes. Hence, it is best to consume them within 3 to 4 days.
Coffee Cupcakes Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my coffee cupcakes recipe.
Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
- 180 g self raising flour
- 180 g butter
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 75 g coffee-flavored chocolate chips
- 75 g butter
- 75 g shortening
- 300 g icing sugar sifted
- ½ tbsp instant coffee powder
- ½ tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp milk optional
- 28 milk chocolate coins
- Preheat oven to 175°Celsius.
- Prepare cupcake casings.
- In a small cup, dilute instant coffee powder with hot water. Mix and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Fold into the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Start and end with flour.
- Finally, fold in the diluted coffee and mix until the coffee is well distributed and the batter is evenly colored.
- Scoop the batter into prepared cupcake casings and bake for approximately 20 minutes. The top of the cupcakes should spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let them cool down completely before frosting.
- To make the coffee buttercream, dilute the coffee in hot water. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and shortening until soft and creamy.
- Add in the sifted icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Pour the diluted coffee and continue to beat the buttercream until the coffee is evenly distributed in the buttercream. Add some milk if the consistency is too stiff.
- Fill the coffee buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe simple swirls on each cupcake. Top with a milk chocolate button.
And that’s my coffee cupcakes for you!
Here are my other recipes you might want to check out:
- Moist vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting
- Sprinkles layered cupcakes
- Almond chocolate marshmallow cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles
- Orange chocolate cupcakes with candied ginger
Happy baking 🙂