If you love banana muffins and chocolate, these easy banana chocolate chip muffins will make you really happy. Not only are they super easy and fast to make, but the combination of bananas also filled muffin batter and chocolate chips are so good, it’s almost too hard to resist from going back for more and more.
These muffins are best eaten when they are warm. Leftovers can be kept at room temperature for 3 to 4 days provided you omit the slice of banana on the muffins before baking. The muffins are good to last for at least one week if refrigerated.
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Here is the step by step process of making these banana chocolate chip muffins:
- Start by mashing the bananas. Use well ripened bananas. Peel the skin and mash with a fork evenly.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla essence and mix. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add brown sugar and mix with a whisk.
- Form a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until the ingredients are just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop or spoon the batter into prepared muffin casings. Place a thin slice of banana on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius. Remove the muffins from oven, let them rest in the tray for a few minutes before taking them out. If you wish to keep the muffins for a few days, omit the banana slice on the muffins before baking. The muffins (without the banana slice) can last at room temperature for 3 to 4 days and in the refrigerator for one week.
Tips for Perfect Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Here are some additional pointers for these banana chocolate chip muffins recipe:
Use fully ripe bananas for best tasting banana muffins. For the recipe above, I used 2 medium sized bananas. Since bananas vary so much in size, I measured mine and it was 200 grams.
- You can use mini chocolate chips or larger chocolate chips. I have used mini chocolate chips in this recipe and the only reason for that is because I did not have any regular sized dark chocolate chips. Otherwise, you can always use regular-sized chocolate chips.
- Measure and place the chocolate chips in the refrigerator to avoid them from becoming soft at room temperature (this is only for warm climates like mine, so ignore this if heat is not a problem where you are staying). Add them into the batter right at the end to avoid them from melting and turning the banana batter into a chocolate batter.
Mixing the batter
- Mix the batter only until the ingredients are just combined. For this reason, I group all the dry ingredients and wet ingredients into 2 and combine them in a single step.
- Fill your muffin casings to about two-thirds full. Any more than this could result in your muffin casings overflowing due to the rising agents in the batter.
For the recipe amount above, I managed to get 18 medium sized muffins. If you are using larger or smaller muffin casings, the number of muffins you will get will vary. You would also need to adjust the baking time accordingly. To ensure the muffins are not over cooked or under cooked, check by inserting a toothpick into one of the muffins at least 5 minutes before the baking time is up. If there is not wet batter sticking to the muffins, they are done and can be removed from oven.
Banana slice garnish
The banana slice added on top of each muffin is for garnish and if you wish to keep the muffins for more than one day, it is advisable to omit the banana slice on your muffins. The muffins, without the banana slice, can last at room temperature for 3 to 4 days and in the refrigerator for at least one week.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my banana chocolate chip muffins recipe.
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 150 g brown sugar
- 240 g self-raising flour
- 200 g bananas mashed
- 150 g chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 g butter melted
- 200 g buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ½ banana sliced for garnish
- Pre heat oven to 170 degrees Celcius. Prepare muffin casings.
- Mix the buttermilk, egg, vanilla essence, mashed bananas and melted butter in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the brown sugar and mix with a whisk until the sugar and flour are well combined.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the liquid ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin casings and place one thin slice of banana on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Remove from oven and let the muffins cool slightly before serving.
- If you wish to keeps the muffins for the next day, it is best to not add the banana slice on the muffins before baking. These muffins, without the banana slice topping, can last at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. With refrigeration, they can last up to one week.
And that how easy it is to make these banana chocolate chip muffins.
Pin this recipe for later here: