Here is my M and M cookie recipe anyone can whip up in minutes. These buttery crispy cookies, filled with chopped M and M candies are a true hit with kids and adults alike.
I made these cookies in 1 tablespoon sized dough and so got around 34 cookies for the amount of the batter from this recipe.
Overall, this M and M cookie recipe was a real success. My kids loved them so much they finished about half of them on the very same day I made them.
These cookies last well, so long as you keep them in air tight container.
Here are a couple of notes on this M and M cookie recipe:
- The dough can be kept refrigerated if you don’t bake the cookies immediately. The most I have tried is refrigerating it for one day. I have also not tried freezing any cookie dough before, so not quite sure how that will work for these cookies.
- If you don’t intend to bake the cookies immediately, do not add the candies in. Add them just before baking. Also, make sure the candies are at room temperature. The other time when I baked these cookies, I took them out of the fridge right before adding them to the dough, and I ended up with sweaty candies and their colors started to smear. So it is best to add these at room temperature.
- I tried making these cookies with full M & M candies in them and when baked at my normal cookie baking temperature which is 175 degrees Celsius, the candies started to break and the chocolate oozed out. My recipe below is therefore baked with a lowered baking temperature of 150 degrees Celsius.
- The recipe uses plain flour but has baking powder added to it separately. You can use self-raising flour in place of the plain flour and if you do, omit the baking powder. Also, since the recipe involves the use of raising agents, the cookies tend to expand slightly while baking so it is important that they are placed slightly apart on the baking tray when baking.
- The amount of M&M candies in the recipe is not fixed. You can add as many of these candies into the cookies as you like. I used a total of 100 g of them in my recipe. And you can add them whole or chopped. Given that the size of my cookies was not too big, I chose to chop my M&Ms into 2 each. And instead of mixing them into the cookie dough, I pressed them into the cookies.
M and M Cookies Recipe
Here is the full, printable version of M & M’s cookie recipe:
M and M Cookie Recipe
- 200 g all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g M&M candies in assorted colors
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder and leave aside.
- In a clean bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and continue beating until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Next, add the sifted flour, a little at a time. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Take about 1 tbsp of dough and shape into round balls. Press in about 4 to 5 pieces of chopped M&M candies into the top of each cookie and reshape the dough into round balls. Flatten the dough (with the candies on the top) and place the dough onto baking tray. Press in more M&Ms if you prefer. Repeat the process bearing in mind not to place the cookies to close to another as they will spread during baking.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius until they are done.
- To cool the cookies, lift the baking paper off the baking tray and place it on a wire rack. Let the cookies cool completely before removing them from the paper.
- Keep leftover cookies in airtight container.
Happy Baking 🙂
Pin this recipe for later here: