Here is a mini funfetti cupcakes recipe I recently came up with. It’s based on my butter pound cake recipe, and since I wanted to add sprinkles to the batter, to make sure the sprinkles do not sink to the bottom of the cupcakes, I modified the recipe to produce stiffer batter by increasing the proportion of flour to sugar and butter for this sprinkles cupcakes recipe.
Also, my basis for not increasing sugar by the same proportion is because, the sprinkles are sweet, so that makes additional sugar unnecessary. And of course, for the lower proportion of butter, I use slightly more milk than I would for the butter pound cake, but not too much that the batter turns runny.
Frankly speaking, since this was the first trial, I made a very small batch, and I used mini muffin cups to bake the cupcakes. I must admit that I am really not a fan of sprinkles simply because I feel that there is too much coloring in it, but when I saw how these cupcakes turned out, I was impressed! I really love the explosion of colors in these mini funfetti cupcakes. They scream fun and cheerfulness and will definitely be a great choice for a fun and cheerful event.
How to Make Funfetti Cupcakes From Scratch
The truth is, you don’t need any special recipe for mini funfetti cupcakes. All you need is a good cupcake recipe and some bright colorful sprinkles. The cupcakes batter has to be white or light-colored though, or else you won’t be able to your sprinkles when mixed in the batter.
Here is what goes into my funfetti cupcakes:
- Butter (salted)
- Castor sugar
- Self-raising flour + baking powder + salt
- Sprinkles (or funfetti as some call it)
And here is what you need for the decorating:
- More sprinkles
How to make the mini funfetti cupcakes
The process starts with the creaming of the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. The eggs go in next, followed by the flour and milk alternately and finally the vanilla essence. And right before the batter is scooped into the cupcake casings, the sprinkles are added in. These should be mixed in very briefly as too long a mixing can break the sprinkles and cause the colors to bleed into the batter and get mixed up.
Fill the cupcakes casings to about 2/3 full and bake until done. The cupcakes are so lovely even at this stage, without any decorating. See?
How to decorate the mini funfetti cupcakes
I went ahead to decorate mine anyway. For the topping, I choose buttercream and more sprinkles. And here is how to decorated the mini cupcakes:
- If the cupcakes are domed, level the tops with a knife.
- Next, using vanilla buttercream, cover the top of each cupcake with a layer of buttercream, not too thick and not to thin – enough to cover the cupcakes so that you don’t get to see any of the cake underneath.
- Next, as a guide, use a large piping tip and placed it in the center of the cupcake. For larger cupcakes, a slightly larger round cookie cutter might be a better option, as piping tips might be too small in proportion to the size of the larger cupcakes.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of colored sprinkles around the sides of the cupcakes and press them lightly with the tip of your finger to attach them to the buttercream.
- Tip: place your mini funfetti cupcake on a plate or tray when sprinkling so that you can reuse the excess that has fallen down.
- Lift the piping tip off the cupcake, gently. See how the sprinkles formed a pretty circle border on the top of the cupcake.
- The final step is to pipe buttercream frilly swirl in the center with a Wilton tip 2D.
Here’s how the mini funfetti cupcakes looked like after decorating:
Tips for Making the Best Mini Funfetti Cupcakes
Cream butter and sugar well
- The creaming process helps to produce soft and fluffy cupcakes, so don’t skip on this step. Make sure you cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
Eggs and butter at room temperature
- Often, when the butter or eggs are cold, your cupcakes (and cakes) batter will tend to curdle. This does not happen if both are of the same temperature. However, since butter is hard to whip when cold, it would typically have turned warmer upon whipping. Adding cold eggs to this, however, can cause curdling.
- To prevent this, make sure both the eggs and butter are at room temperature. And if your batter still curdles, don’t fret. Add some flour to the creamed mixture until it is no longer curdled. Continue with the remaining flour alternately with milk after that.
Do not add too much liquid to the funfetti cupcake batter
- This is important to prevent the sprinkles from sinking to the bottom of the cupcakes. Keep the liquid amount added to the batter strictly to the quantity mentioned in the recipe.
Add sprinkles right at the end
- This recipe calls for the addition of sprinkles as the last step before scooping the batter into cupcake casings and baking. Adding the sprinkles any time earlier than this means they will be subjected to a lot of mixing, which can break them. This, in turn, will cause the colors to get mixed up, and you will not end up with the pretty specks of colors in the cupcakes anymore.
Do not overfill the cupcakes
- These cupcakes can be baked in both cupcake casings as well as muffin casings like the ones I have used on this page. Either way, make sure you only fill the casings with batter no more than 3/4 full. Anything more than that could result in the batter overflowing the casings.
Use soft sugar sprinkles
- The sprinkles I have used in this sprinkles cupcakes recipe are the soft and crunchy ones. I have not made these cupcakes with the harder sprinkles (some sprinkles are quite hard to bite), and so am not sure how using such sprinkles in the cupcakes will result in.
Do not overbake the cupcakes
- Overbaking can cause your cupcakes to become dry. Always test with a skewer at least 5 minutes before the baking time is up. If there is no wet batter sticking to the skewer and the top of the cupcakes spring back when pressed lightly, the cupcake are done and can be removed from the oven.
Mini Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
Here is the printable version of my funfetti cupcakes recipe and while you are at it, don’t miss my recipe notes right below. They contain absolutely useful tips for the best funfetti cupcakes ever!
Mini Funfetti Cupcakes
- 90 g butter salted
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 180 g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp sprinkles (or funfetti as some call it)
- 2 tbsp milk
Frosting & Decoration
- Colorful sprinkles
- Prepare your cupcake liners ( I used mini muffin cups here).
- Sift self raising flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, cream butter and sugar until the mixture turns light, creamy and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrap the bowl and beat well.
- Add the sifted flour alternatively with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Next, add vanilla essence and combine well. And finally, add in the sprinkles. Mix the batter only to the extent the sprinkles are well combined. Over mixing can cause the sprinkles to break.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared cupcake liners or muffin cups.
- Bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 10 to 15 minutes. To test if the cupcakes are done, insert a small toothpick in the center of one cupcake. If it comes out without any wet batter sticking to it, your cupcakes are done.
- Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating.
- To decorate the cupcakes, level the tops.
- Spread a layer of buttercream.
- Using the back of a large piping tip as a guide, drop some sprinkles all around the edges of the cupcak.es
- Lift the piping tip and pipe a small buttercream swirl in the center of each cupcake.
And that’s my mini funfetti cupcakes recipe.
Happy baking 🙂 🙂
Pin this recipe for later here: