If you love peanut butter cookies, you should not miss these peanut butter cream cheese cookies. These decadent cookies are a pleasant variation to the classic peanut butter cookies with the richness of cream cheese and flavour of butterscotch chips.
Between the peanut butter, cream cheese and butter, cream cheese is added in 2 portions while peanut butter and butter are one portion each. Even so, the taste of peanut butter is more prominent than cream cheese in these peanut butter cream cheese cookies. The cream cheese gives these peanut butter cookies a lovely hint of richness, and when combined with the nutty flavor of peanut butter and the depth of the butterscotch chips, you get a pleasantly rich and flavourful peanut butter cookies.
These peanut butter cookies do not spread much while baking but do rise a little. They have lovely crisp edges and a thick and soft, chewy centers.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies
- All purpose flour + cornstarch + salt + baking powder
- Cream Cheese
- Peanut Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Butterscotch chips
Mixing the peanut butter cream cheese cookie dough
Start by measuring the butter, cream cheese and peanut butter into a large bowl.
To that, add both the brown sugar and granulated sugar, vanilla essence and egg.
Beat all these ingredients on medium speed until the mixture turns smooth.
Add salt, cornstarch and baking powder to flour and sift these ingredients into the creamed mixture.
Mix until the cookie dough comes together. At this stage, the dough will be very soft and sticky.
Gently fold in the butterscotch chips.
Use a measuring spoon or an ice cream scoop to drop the cookie dough balls on a parchment-lined baking tray.
Lightly shape them into balls if necessary. At this stage, the cookie dough will still be sticky.
Press in butterscotch chips into the top of the peanut butter cookie dough ball.
Refrigerate the peanut butter cookies for about 45 minutes.
Remove from fridge and bake in a preheated oven of approximately 10 minutes. The cookies should only start to brown lightly at the edges.
Remove the cookies from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool down slightly before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
These peanut butter cookies are best stored in an airtight container.
Tips for Making the Best Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies
- Use block cream cheese for these cookies. Spreadable cheese might not yield similar resutls.
- I used smooth peanut butter in these peanut butter cookies but it can always be substituted with chunky peanut butter. Use it in the exact same amount.
- I used mini butterscotch chips in this recipe. You can always change these to the standard sized ones. The butterscotch chips can even be substituted for chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. The quantity can also be increased if you wish so.
- For slightly more nutty peanut butter cookies, you can even add chopped peanuts into the cookies. These, along with the butterscotch chips are best limited to 300g in total in the cookies.
- The baking time of these peanut butter cookies depends very much on the size of the cookies. I used a small ice cream scoop which is about 1 and half tablespoon size. For this size, I baked the cookies for 10 minutes.
- If your cookies are smaller in size, reduce the baking time and if they are larger, increase the baking time slightly.
- The texture of these peanut butter cookies is slightly crispy on the edges and soft and chewy on the inside.
- The key to this texture is to not overbake the cookies. Over baking will result in cookies that are still soft, but with a cakey texture.
Refrigeration before baking
- Refrigeration helps ensure the cookies are thick and do not spread during baking. So if you want thick cookies, do not skip this step.
- Refrigeration of about 45 minutes is sufficient to ensure the cookies do not spread much during baking. The cookie dough can also be refrigerated overnight.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my peanut butter cream cheese cookies. While you are here, don’t forget to read up my recipe notes above for the softest, thick and chewy peanut butter cream cheese cookies.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies
- 50 g butter
- 60 g peanut butter
- 110 g cream cheese
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 150 g brown sugar
- 110 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 175 g butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 170°Celsius.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla essence.
- Beat the ingredients until they turn smooth and creamy.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Add two thirds of the butterscotch chips into the dough and mix with a spatula until the chips are well distributed. Reserve the remaining chips to press into the cookies later.
- Using a measuring spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough and shape lightly into balls.
- Place the cookie dough balls on a parchment-lined baking tray. Press in the remaining butterscotch chips onto the cookies.
- Chill the shaped cookie balls for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the sides turn lightly brown.
- Remove the tray from oven. Once the cookies have cooled down slightly, transferr them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
And that is pretty much my peanut butter cream cheese cookies with butterscotch chips.
Here are my other recipes you might want to check out:
Happy baking 🙂