Here is a pinata cupcakes (sprinkles inside cupcakes) decorating idea for you to try as your next cupcake project.
This is a fairly easy technique and the only skill that is needed for this cupcake decorating idea is piping skills, and even that, it’s the skill of piping simple buttercream rosette swirls.
As you can see, the sprinkles I have used on the pinata cupcakes are in 2 shades of blue plus some gold ones. These sprinkles mix is one which I custom created, meaning, I colored the blue ones on my own (I purchased white sprinkles and colored them to the needs of my cupcake project. Click here to read how I colored the sprinkles) while gold ones are store bought. I mixed all three colors together for this combination of sprinkles.
A note of caution with gold and silver dragees. Most of these are often very hard to bite and can sometimes cause hurt to your teeth, so choose your sprinkles wisely!
How to Make Pinata Cupcakes
The cupcakes are made using my butter pound cake recipe, baked in muffin casings. The ingredients are :
- Self-raising flour + baking powder + salt
- Vanilla Essence
The topping on the other hand consists of:
- Sprinkles – I used a combination of dark blue, light blue and gold sprinkles for these cupcakes. I colored the blue ones myself, out of white sprinkles (click here to learn how I colored my sprinkles). The gold ones are store-bought. I mixed all the colors together. The gold ones are in a lesser quantity while the blues were of equal quantity. I did not want the gold to overpower the blue color, hence I used them in a much lesser quantity.
You would also need the following tools to decorate these pinata cupcakes:
- Wilton piping tip #2D for the swirl flowers on top of each cupcake.
- Disposal piping bag
- Make the cupcakes using the creaming method, by first creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs next, followed by the flour and milk alternately. And finally, add vanilla and mix well to complete the cupcake batter.
- Scoop the batter into prepared cupcake casings until about 2/3 fulls. Bake until the cupcakes are done and cool them completely before going to the next step.
Assembling and decorating the pinata cupcakes – Cupcakes with sprinkles inside
- Core the centre of each cupcake. Use a corer if you have one, or simply use a jam knife to cut out a small hole in the center. If you need guide in cutting the holes, use the back of a large piping tip to mark the holes.
- Once the marking is in place, remove the tip and cut out a hole using a jam knife right to the bottom (taking care not to rip the bottom of the cupcake casing with the jam knife – and this is also why I am using a jam knife instead of a kitchen knife).
- Next, fill the hole with a bit of buttercream.
- The idea is to just cover the bottom of the pinata cupcake, as such there is no need to pipe too much, suffice if it covers the hole at the bottom.
- Next, fill the hole up with the sprinkles mix all the way to the top of the cupcake.
- And then cover the hole with buttercream, along with the entire cupcake top. You can just cover the hole and not bother with the rest of the cupcake, but I prefer a flat surface to pipe my buttercream rosettes, so I covered the tops of the cupcakes with a flat layer of buttercream.
- Next is the rosette swirls. Using Wilton tip #2D, pipe one large rosette swirl on each sprinkles inside cupcake.
- And for the finishing touch, sprinkle the top of each cupcake with the same sprinkles mix used to fill them. You don’t have to sprinkle too much or else the pretty buttercream rosette underneath will be covered. Suffice if the sprinkles are sparsely dropped on the pinata cupcakes.
Pinata Cupcakes Recipe
Here is the full printable recipe for my pinata cupcakes recipe.
- 100 g castor sugar
- 100 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
Frosting & Filling
- Preheat oven to 170 °Celsius.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, and baking powder. Fold in the sifted ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Fold in the vanilla essence and give the batter a good mix.
- Pour batter into baking cups until they are about two thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of the casing you use) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out without any wet batter sticking to it.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and let them cool completely before decorating.
- To decorate the cupcakes, core the centre of each cupcake. For uniform sized holes, you can use the back of a large piping tip to mark the circles. Use a jam knife to cut the hole out.
- Fill the hole with a little buttercream. Top with the sprinkles and cover the hole with more buttercream.
- Spread a layer of buttercream all over the top of the cupcakes and pipe a large rosette on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkles the tops sparsely with more sprinkles.
And that’s pretty much my pinata cupcakes decorating idea. These cupcakes with sprinkles inside is a great idea for gender reveals or even baby showers by customizing the color of the sprinkles inside.
Happy Baking & Decorating 🙂
Pin this pinata cupcakes recipe for later here: