These sprinkles layered cupcakes are literally layered with sprinkles. Each cupcake is individually cut horizontally into three and filled with sprinkles buttercream.
These layered cupcakes may be a little time consuming to assemble but the end result is definitely worth it. They leave people wondering how the cupcakes were layered in the first place and the layering also provides a great alternative for filling cupcakes which are otherwise filled in the centers vertically rather than in horizontal layers.
From the outside, the cupcakes look like any other typical cupcakes, with buttercream swirls on top and a sprinkle of colorful sprinkles. But wait until a bite goes into the cupcake, and then the difference can be felt with the sprinkles filled buttercream that is spread horizontally in the cupcake!
How to Make Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes
The cupcakes are made using my butter pound cake recipe, baked in muffin casings. The ingredients are :
- Self-raising flour + baking powder + salt
- Vanilla Essence
The topping on the other hand consists of:
- Sprinkles – These are tiny round sugar balls coated in a myriad of colors. These were used as sprinkles on top of the cupcakes after the buttercream swirls as well.
You would also need the following tools to decorate these sprinkles layered cupcakes:
- Wilton piping tip #2D for the swirl flowers on top of each cupcake.
- Disposal piping bag – I used a disposable one here. I prefer disposable for all my decorating projects involving buttercream as they really save my washing time!
- Make the cupcakes using the creaming method, by first creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs next, followed by the flour and milk alternately. And finally, add vanilla and mix well to complete the cupcake batter.
- Scoop the batter into prepared cupcake casings until about 2/3 fulls. Bake until the cupcakes are done and cool them completely before going to the next step.
Assembling and decorating the sprinkles layered cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes were baked and completely cooled down, remove them from their casings.
- Layer each cupcakes into 3, horizontally with a knife.
- Starting from the bottom layer, spread some sprinkles filled buttercream onto each layer.
- Top with the second layer of cupcake.
- Add another layer of sprinkles buttercream.
- And top with the final top layer of the cupcake.
- When the filling is done, this was how the re-stacked sprinkles layered cupcake would look like.
- Transfer the layered cupcakes into new cupcake casings. An easy way would be to turn the cupcakes upside down and cover with the cupcake casings. Then, hold the casing (with the cupcake inside in an upside down position) and quickly turn it over.
- Once the sprinkles layered cupcakes are all into their new casings, cover the top of each cupcake with buttercream swirls.
- And finally, a sprinkle of the bright colored nonpareils. Use them sparsely, they look pretty that way on the buttercream swirls.
Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my sprinkles layered cupcakes:
Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes
- 100 g castor sugar
- 100 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
Frosting & Filling
- Preheat oven to 170 °Celsius.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, and baking powder. Fold in the sifted ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Fold in the vanilla essence and give the batter a good mix.
- Pour batter into baking cups until they are about two thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of the casing you use) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out without any wet batter sticking to it.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and let them cool completely before decorating.
- To decorate the cupcakes, peel them off their casings.
- Layer each cupcake into 3.
- Mix some sprinkles into buttercream and spread the buttercream onto the first layer of the cupcake. Top with the second layer of cupcake, spread more sprinkles buttercream onto the second layer and top with the final layer of the cupcake.
- Lift the layered cupcake into a new cupcake casing.
- Pipe large buttercream swirl on top and add some sprinkles on.
And that is it. My sprinkles layered cupcakes.
Happy baking and decorating 🙂
Pin this sprinkles layered cupcakes idea for later here: