This strawberry almond cake is a white almond cake with strawberry compote and almond flakes topping.
This strawberry and almond cake is baked to perfection with a light nutty hint, and to complement that, I loaded top of the cake with toasted almond flakes. The result – well, a decadent white almond cake with crunchy almond topping. These, combined with the sweet and tart homemade strawberry compote swirls on the cake completed the cake into a lovely, delectable treat!
Putting this strawberry almond meal cake together was easy. Make the strawberry filling ahead of time and you can whip this cake up anytime you feel like eating it. Nothing beats a warm slice of this cake with its sweet strawberry and crunchy nut topping and hot cup of tea on a lazy afternoon!
How to Make Strawberry Almond Cake
- Start by preparing the strawberry compote or filling and the almond flakes. Follow my recipe here for the strawberry compote.
- For the almond flakes, place them on a parchment lined baking tray and toast them in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool down.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy at medium speed. This should take around 2 minutes. In between, scrap the bowl at least once.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remember to scrap the sides of the bowl before giving the creamed mixture a final round of whisking.
- In a separate bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder and almond flour with a whisk. Fold the flour into the creamed mixture. You can do it all at once.
- Mix until the flour is all well incorporated and then mix in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the almond cake batter into a well greased and floured, 8 inches round cake tin.
- Drop small bits of strawberry filling (about half a teaspoon) all over the almond cake top.
- Use a toothpick or a skewer to swirl the strawberry filling into the cake batter in circular motion.
- Finally, sprinkle the toasted almond flakes all over the top of the cake. The amount mentioned in the recipe is sufficient to cover the top of this strawberry almond cake generously.
Baking the cake
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes. Test if the cake is done with a skewer.
- If the skewer comes out clean or with just a few soft crumbs, the cake is done and can be removed from oven.
- Let the strawberry almond tea cake cool in the tin for a few minutes, loosen the edges with a palette knife and turn out on a wire rack to cool it down completely.
- The cake is best served on the same day it is baked.
- Leftovers can last at room temperature for a good 3 to 4 days. Refrigerate the cake if you wish to keep it longer
Strawberry Almond Cake – Recipe Notes
Here are my notes for this recipe. Reading these will help you understand the recipe and help in making any adjustments if you wish so.
Almond flour (almond meal)
- True to its name, this strawberry almond meal cake is made using almond flour along with normal all-purpose flour. If you don’t have almond flour (also known as almond meal), you can always make your own by processing almonds (without the brown skin) to a fine powder. You need not sieve the flour, and if you find tiny bits of almonds in it, it is perfectly fine.
- Toast the almond flakes separately before putting them onto the cake batter. This will ensure the flakes on your cake are perfectly crunchy after baking.
- When toasting the almond flakes, suffice if you toast them lightly. They get toasted again in the oven along with the cake, so toasting them too much will leave you with overly browned nuts on the cake.
Strawberry compote (strawberry filling)
- Make the strawberry compote (filling) ahead of time. This compote lasts well in the refrigerator, so making it earlier helps save time when baking this almond cake with strawberry filling.
- Adjust the amount of the filling to your liking. If you wish to have more filling in the cake, you can always increase the quantity in the cake.
- The butter used in the recipe is salted butter. I use salted butter in all my baking. Unsalted butter is also fine but remember to increase the salt in the recipe to 1/4 teaspoon.
Proportion of sugar to flour and butter
- The proportion of sugar to flour and butter is a lot lesser than normal cakes. The cake is not too sweet, as a result. This, however, complements very well with the sweet strawberry filling that is swirled on top of the cake.
Cutting the cake
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake. That way, it is easier to cut through the almond flakes on the cake without displacing them.
Storing the strawberry almond cake
- The cake is best served on the day it is baked. That way, you get the almond flakes all nice and crunchy as you eat the cake. Keeping it for the next day is perfectly fine too, but the almond flakes lose their crunch, but still good nevertheless.
- This cake lasts for a good 3 to 4 days at room temperature. If you wish to keep it longer, refrigerate it. Bring it to room temperature before consuming.
Strawberry Almond Cake Recipe
Here is the full printable version of my strawberry almond cake recipe:
Strawberry Almond Cake
- 125 g plain flour
- 75 g ground almond almond meal
- 150 g castor sugar
- 180 g butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 50 g almond flakes
- 50 g strawberry compote strawberry filling
- Pre-heat oven to 170°Celsius.
- Measure the almond flakes and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set a side.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, measure the flour, almond flour and baking powder and mix with a whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Fold the flour into the creamed mixture.
- Add in vanilla essence.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 8 inches round cake tin.
- Drop half teaspoons of strawberry filling all over the cake top. Use a skewer or toothpick to swirl the filling with the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the toasted almond flakes all over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake at 170°Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes. Test with a skewer before removing the cake from the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
And that’s that. Hope you like this strawberry and almond cake recipe. Enjoy 🙂
Check out my other strawberry filled goodies below:
Happy Baking 🙂