I shared a recipe on how to make homemade strawberry filling in another post not too long ago. And I am sharing on this page now one delightful treat that can be made using the filling as an ingredient and it is none other than my nutty strawberry oat bars.
These bars make a lovely treat any time of the day, even for breakfast. And they are so easy and fast to put together that this would make a great treat if you need to whip up a dessert or tea time treat in a short period of time. Having the strawberry filling made ahead of time (like me, I have it ready in the fridge) would save even more time. But if you don’t, both the filling and the oat bars can be whipped up within an hour.
These strawberry oat bars consist of a layer of crust made using quick oats, plain flour, almond flour, and brown sugar. It’s pressed into a loaf pan and topped generously with the lovely delicious homemade strawberry filling. To top these all, a layer of buttery crumble made using the same ingredients as the crust plus a good amount of roasted almond nibs is sprinkled generously all over the strawberry filling and then baked to perfection. The result – deliciously buttery crust bars with sweet strawberries and nutty crunchy topping. Sounds good, right?
How to Make Nutty Strawberry Oat Bars
Strawberry oat bars ingredients
Here is what you need to make these delicious fruit filled oat bars:
- Instant oatmeal
- Plain flour
- Ground almonds
- Brown sugar
- Strawberry fruit filling
- Almond nibs
Making the crust
- Start the process by preparing the oat bar crust. Measure the flour, instant oats, brown sugar, salt, almond flour into a bowl and mix them all with a whisk.
- Next, add the butter (at room temperature) and blend it in to the flour mix with a mixer. At this point, the dough would be soft and of a cookie dough consistency.
- Save ½ cup of the crust and press the remaining into a lined loaf tin. Make sure the sides are slightly higher compared to the center. This is to contain the strawberry filling and ensure that it does not overflow on the sides.
Adding the filling & topping
- Next is the filling for the oat bar. Fill the crust until it is the same level as the sides of the crust.
- And finally, cover the top of the strawberry oat bar with the nutty crumb mix. To make the mix, use the ½ cup crust saved earlier, mix it with 3 tablespoons of dry roasted almond nibs and sprinkle it evenly all over the strawberry topping.
- Bake the strawberry oat bar for 25 minutes until the top turned golden brown.
Let the strawberry oat bar cool down to room temperature before cutting it into smaller bars.
Nutty Strawberry Oat Bars Recipe
Here is the full printable recipe of my strawberry oat bars:
Nutty Strawberry Oat Bars
- 65 g instant oatmeal
- 90 g plain flour
- 15 g ground almond
- 65 g brown sugar
- 115 g butter
- 150 g strawberry filling
- 50 g almond nibs roasted
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease and line an 8 inches by 4 inches loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Dry roast the almond nibs over low heat or in the oven until they are lightly browned. Leave aside to cool.
- Add flour, brown sugar, oats, salt and almond flour into a bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Add butter and beat until the butter is well incorporated into the dry ingredients. The dough should come together into a ball.
- Remove about ½ cup of the crust dough aside and press the remaining into the prepared loaf tin. Make sure the sides are slightly higher than the center.
- Next, add the strawberry filling onto the crust evenly making sure it does not overflow on the sides.
- To prepare the crumb topping, dry roast the almond nibs and add them to the ½ cup crust saved earlier and whisk for a few seconds until the mixture turns crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble evenly all over the strawberry oats bar.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius. Remove the bar from oven and let it cool in tin for about 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut the bar into smaller squares or bars as desired and serve.
Happy Baking 🙂
Pin this easy strawberry oat bars recipe for later here: